
Following a cold, but peaceful night at the Amenity Inn, it became necessary for us to leave our snowtireless car parked by the side of road and walk home in the snow. We were wearing our "get-in-the-car, get-out-of-the-car, go-in-a-warm-building" clothes, so the tennis shoes and flats were quite inadequate. It was still snowing as we made our way home, and having no hat,I grabbed the Mexican blanket out of the trunk (my tiny effort at "being prepared"), draped it over my head, and trudged.
I thought it might be entertaining to count how many cars passed by us. Twenty-three! And I am not complaining that none of them stopped to offer us a ride, except perhaps for the 18th car. As we came closer to the church, I realized that all the cars were heading to their 9:00 meeting. The 18th car stopped 50 feet ahead of us and offered the couple who had just come out of their warm house and were nicely wrapped up in their winter clothes a ride to church. The couple declined the kind offer. I wanted to yell,"We want one! You can take us home. Or even to the church! We're members! Please, I'm so cold!" But I didn't yell and the 18th car drove on to their church meeting.
After passing the church, we trudged by our neighbor who was outside shovelling his driveway. His comment,"Out for a nice walk in the snow?" Oh, yes, I love walking in the snow with a blanket over my head. It's so chic. I thought it was such a ridiculous question that I walked on while Jim answered, "Yes. How are you doing?" and proceeded to get a full report on the neighbor's family. "Blues" are concerned about relationships, don't ya know.
I thought it might be entertaining to count how many cars passed by us. Twenty-three! And I am not complaining that none of them stopped to offer us a ride, except perhaps for the 18th car. As we came closer to the church, I realized that all the cars were heading to their 9:00 meeting. The 18th car stopped 50 feet ahead of us and offered the couple who had just come out of their warm house and were nicely wrapped up in their winter clothes a ride to church. The couple declined the kind offer. I wanted to yell,"We want one! You can take us home. Or even to the church! We're members! Please, I'm so cold!" But I didn't yell and the 18th car drove on to their church meeting.
After passing the church, we trudged by our neighbor who was outside shovelling his driveway. His comment,"Out for a nice walk in the snow?" Oh, yes, I love walking in the snow with a blanket over my head. It's so chic. I thought it was such a ridiculous question that I walked on while Jim answered, "Yes. How are you doing?" and proceeded to get a full report on the neighbor's family. "Blues" are concerned about relationships, don't ya know.
I never realized what a similar writing style we have. And this has nothing to do with anything, but I sewed two dresses almost entirely by myself. You'd be so proud!
ReplyDelete